Sunday, July 5, 2009
I got a number of free things at KMart today and a few other things VERY cheaply, but every time I go to KMart I am reminded why I only do the super doubles thing if there are lots of freebies I actually need. For one thing, it takes forever to go through and collect all the coupons I need, even though sites like Money Saving Mom did most of the work by listing the inserts and Web sites where I got them.
But the main reason I don't enjoy Super Doubles that much is that, in the words of Rainman, Kmart sucks. I did three transactions today, and every single one of them had one or more register or cashier errors that cost me money. I tried the Huggies Catalina deal twice, and neither time did I get the $14 coupon I was owed. Now I'm not even sure who I should call, KMart or Huggies. Guess KMart.
Here's what I got free:
1 Dove deodorant (I use this so thumbs up)
1 Reach toothbrush (ever since I put one of my toothbrushes in my hospital bag I've been wanting a spare for the upstairs bathroom so again, thumbs up)
3 purse packs Huggies wipes (obviously, thumbs up)
1 Aveeno hand cream (I'm very picky about hand cream, but I'll try it)
Here's what I got very cheap:
4 Bumblebee tuna pouches for 19 cents each (some people had $1/1 coupons, making these free, but I only had .55/1)
1 box Keebler Sandies for $1
2 fancy Playtex dishwashing gloves for 19 cents each
1 box of 80 Hefty kitchen trash bags for $2.99
1 tube Neutrogena hand cream $2.19 (my preferred kind)
1 tube Aveeno lotion $2.79 (was supposed to be free but rang up at wrong price)
1 large tub Oxy Clean $4.50
1 can Edge shave gel 50 cents
2 bottles Bayer chewable aspirin $1 each (should have been free but coupon didn't double)
I also bought 10 Jumbo packs of Huggies for around $7 a pack. I am supposed to get back $28 in Catalina coupons on these; if I get them, that would bring the cost down to $4.20 a pack, which would be very good. The price is approximate because I used a variety of coupons for these ranging from .75/1 doubled to $1.50 to $2 doubled to $4, and not all my coupons got scanned.
I was also able to use two $5 off KMart coupons, which pretty much took care of the tax.
So I ended up spending about $88 for a few things I wanted/needed, a few things I just got cause they were free, and a bunch of diapers. It's not a BAD bargain trip, but not as good as it could have been by a long shot. In fact, if I don't resolve the Catalina issue, I'm out about $43 due to cashier/register errors. My trip should have cost me $45. If I can resolve the diaper Catalina problem, I can say the trip cost me $60.
1. The Catalinas not printing. At the first register I checked out at, I didn't even see any machine from which Catalinas would come. At the second register, I saw a coupon machine (not Catalina brand) and as soon as the last Huggies item was rung, a long tape spat out of it. But when I asked for it, the cashier apologized that it didn't work, and showed me that the coupon was totally blank. No ink. By the way, the deal WAS clearly advertised on the shelves. Cost to me: $28 if not resolved.
2. Missed coupon. One of my $1.50/1 Huggies MQs did not get scanned. Cost to me: $3.
3. Coupon wouldn't double. The Bayer coupon didn't double on either of my transactions. Not actually sure if this was a mistake or if this particular coupon just could not be doubled. Cost to me: $2.
4. Coupons applied to wrong items. At KMart, at least during Super Doubles, the cashier is sometimes asked to select which item to apply a coupon to. My cashier applied to $1.50/1 Huggies diapers coupons to $1.99 wipes, which resulted in them adding only 49 cents instead of completely doubling. Then she applied the .75/1 coupons to the diapers. Cost to me: $2.
5. Overcharge. Although both kinds of Aveeno lotion tubes were marked $3.99 on the shelf AND had $3.99 price stickers on them, one rung up at $6.79. Cost to me: $2.79.
6. Store coupon not scanned. On all 3 transactions, I presented a $5 off store coupon. Two I had printed online, one I got on my register receipt. The online ones worked, but the register receipt one did not show up on my final receipt. Not sure if this is because I didn't meet the requirements of the coupon or if it just didn't work; the cashier didn't say anything was amiss when she scanned it. Cost to me: $5.
Of course, I probably COULD get $5-$10 of this refunded if I went back to KMart. And I know, I'm the girl who goes back to Jewel at the drop of a hat to get a $2 refund, but this is different. First, I have to drive to KMart, whereas Jewel is a short walk from my house. Second, the staff at KMart is unhelpful to say the least and I don't know if they would be able to resolve my issues or not. Third and most important, I'm about to have this baby ANY time and I still have things to knock off my to-do list. I don't have any more time to spend on this Super Doubles caper, beyond calling Kmart customer service about the Catalinas.
I know, I should more carefully watch the register and review the receipt while I'm still in the store. But this doubling thing is complicated and I just was not able to notice the things that were amiss until I was at home, going through the receipts with a pen to mark off what item went with what coupon.
Posted by Carrie at 8:06 PM